COMPASSION

Affirmation of life is the spiritual act by which man ceases to live thoughtlessly and begins to devote himself to his life
with reverence in order to give it true value.
— Albert Schweitzer

3/20/2013

Buddha's Five Remembrances:

 I'm reading "The Dude and the Zen Master" which is a conversational book by Bernie Glassman and Jeff Bridges.

Bridges read about the five remembrances when he turned 60 years old and says it resonated with him.  

He says, :When you're young, you feel like you're going to live forever, so you don't think about those things.  Now you do.  You don't let them stop you or give you the blues, they can even inspire you..." 

We have all been forced to face these truisms, one way or another.  According to that classic, "The Denial of Death" by Ernst Becker, much of our culture is designed to protect us from "the fear and trembling unto death" (Kirkegaard).  

I watched "Gonzo" last night which is about Hunter S. reeling and careening through life while dissipating his 'gifts'/talents in the fog booze and drugs.  Then he shoots himself which is the ultimate denial of death.  

Taking your own life is a form of controlling your own fate, I think.  Denying God or whatever 'hidden metaphysical force' sets the traps to catch you unawares and to take your life...  I seldom leave the theater before the show is over.  Why not see how all this plays out.  

Every moment we are alive is a miracle.  To breath and live against so many odds, starting with being the fastest swimming, most determined sperm in that single orgasmic explosion that starts the whole process.
 

Buddha's Five Remembrances:

1) I am of the nature to grow old.  There is no way to escape growing old.

2) I am of the nature to have ill health.  There is no way to escape ill health.

3) I am of the nature to die.  There is no way to escape death.

4) All that is dear to me and everyone I love are of the nature to change.  there is no way to escape being separated from them.

5) My actions are my only true belongings.  I cannot escape the consequences of my actions.  My actions are the ground upon which I stand.




No comments:

Post a Comment