COMPASSION

Affirmation of life is the spiritual act by which man ceases to live thoughtlessly and begins to devote himself to his life
with reverence in order to give it true value.
— Albert Schweitzer

2/05/2024

"My Luve is like a Red Red Rose” by Robert Burns.

 

 

My Luve is like a Red Red Rose ” 

by Robert Burns.


O my Luve is like a red, red rose

That’s newly sprung in June;

O my Luve is like the melody

That’s sweetly played in tune.


So fair art thou, my bonnie lass,

So deep in luve am I;

And I will luve thee still, my dear,

Till a’ the seas gang dry.


Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,

And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;

I will love thee still, my dear,

While the sands o’ life shall run.


And fare thee weel, my only luve!

And fare thee weel awhile!

And I will come again, my luve,

Though it were ten thousand mile.



One of the most famous love songs associated with Robert Burns, 'My Luve's like a Red, Red Rose' was composed prior to 1794 when it appeared in a collection by an Edinburgh composer named Urbani.

It later appeared in James Johnson's Scots Musical Museum in 1796 and in George Thomson's Select Collection of Scottish Airs in 1799. Part of the song's appeal is its use of powerful, natural imagery to convey a love that is ever-lasting and capable of surviving both distance and time.

Pauline Mackay

https://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/robertburns/works/my_luve_is_like_a_red_red_rose/



No comments:

Post a Comment